Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another Medal for the Americans!

FULLERTON – When it comes to do-it-yourself deliveries, Jessica Higgins deserves a medal.

Higgins, 36, gave birth on the front lawn of her east Fullerton home Tuesday afternoon after the baby started slipping out in the front seat of the family car.

The only other passenger was Blaine, Higgins' 2-year-old.

"I was on hold with the doctor's office when the baby started coming," said Higgins, relaxed with her newborn at St. Jude Medical Center this morning. "I quickly called 911 on the cell phone, but Mary Claire was already out when police and paramedics arrived."

Officer Manny Ramos was first on the scene at 1:30 p.m.

"I couldn't believe how calm Mrs. Higgins was," Ramos said Wednesday. "She was just standing in the driveway rocking the newborn, who was still attached to the placenta."

Ramos said it was his first time to help with a delivery. He went into the house to get blankets to keep the baby warm.

Higgins called her husband, Jeff, who arrived in time to cut the umbilical cord beneath the front-yard ficus tree.

"When I got there, there was one police officer and then six officers. A fire engine and an ambulance raced up the street," Jeff Higgins said.

Jessica Higgins was taken to St. Jude where Mary Claire weighed in at 5 pounds, 11 ounces and stretched 18 inches. Jessica Higgins said because the baby was six weeks premature, she will remain in neonatal intensive care for a few days, "but is doing fine."

Higgins said she had been at the Brea Mall all morning having her son's portrait taken.

"I wasn't feeling great, but never expected to deliver yesterday," she said. "Everything happened so fast, and little Blaine slept through it all."


OK....I have had the pleasure of being present for the miracle of birth for all 4 of my kids and let me tell ya - it ain't pretty folks. I certainly feel for both of these individuals, but the first thought that came to my mind was -"With all that mess and slop, that poor baby must have been just absolutely littered with grass clippings."

Maybe its just me...i dunno.

No comments: