Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Was this a Commercial for the The Jesse Jackson school of Speech Making?




My favorite is the last paragraph...(it starts at 4:25)
"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right."

The last paragraph is my favorite for a couple reasons. First, it's the only part that I could understand, secondly, it rhymes and I love that - finally it makes no sense and is full of ethnic slurs. I know that somewhere Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson was smiling.

Now I have watched about 200 hours of Obama TV and no one has said a word about Rev. Lowery using the terms Black, Brown, Yellow and Red Man during his benediction, while Obama snickered. What do you think would happen if that speech were given during the Bush/Cheney inauguration? All I'm saying is that we need 1 set of rules.

Secondly, "we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around" - seems to me like that day is here. I mean the last time I checked President of the United States was a pretty important job.

Finally, I take offense to the "when white will embrace what is right". Now I know that Whitey has screwed many (all) different races and cultures over the years, but isn't this whole administration supposed to be about putting race aside and moving forward as a country and not placing blame and segregating us by our race.

No comments: