Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Drinking Seven Cups of Coffee a Day May Lead to Hallucinations


Jan. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Consuming the caffeine in seven cups of instant coffee a day leaves you more likely to see, hear and smell things that aren’t there, U.K. researchers said.

People who drink at least 330 milligrams of the stimulant a day were three times as likely to have hallucinations as those who consumed less than 10 milligrams a day, Durham University researchers found in a study of 219 college students published today in Personality and Individual Differences.

Nine of the 22 people in the highest-caffeine group reported hearing disembodied voices, compared with three of the 22 people in the lowest-caffeine group, Jones said. Participants also reported seeing things that weren’t there and sensing the presence of dead people.

Interesting... and all this time I thought it was acid. I guess the scary thing for my co-workers is that I drink about 82 cups a day and people have been telling me for years that I "remind them" of Jack Torrance from the Shining but I just though that was because we carry the same Axe. Thanks to KR for the look.

No comments: